PLACES OF WORSHIP: St. Columba Church | Fresno, CA | Built
Since 1959, St. Columba has remained an outstanding example of late modern religious architecture and is loved by the congregation. However, it no longer met the needs of this growing congregation. A curved facade was designed to symbolically represent the hand of God protecting, while embracing worshipers and creating a place for the sanctuary to inhabit. The parish hall and chapel are dominated by large art glass pieces design by local artist Corky Normart. The Chapel seats 40 for weekly mass, small weddings and funerals, and features a columbarium. The congregation chose to build a composition that gives beauty to the street, gentleness to those who come to worship, and restoration to those in need.